Re: when to write radians

I strongly suggest that questions about the use of words should be
addressed, in the first instance, to Mr. Webster or one of his companions.
My dictionary defines "radian" as ...

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Joe Heafner wrote:

Hi.
The angle subtended at the center of a circle by an arc of that circle
has a measure, in radians, equal to the ratio of the arc length to the
circle's radius. This ratio is the dimensionless ratio of two linear
quantities, and the "radian" is needed to express the measure of the
angle in some unit. Now, suppose we compare two other linear quantities
such as the height of two people. Suppose the heights are 5 ft and 6 ft
(pardon the use of non-SI). Am I correct in stating that in this case,
the ratio is still dimensionless but will carry no unit (e.g. "radian")
because no angular measure is involved?

Cheers,
Joe Heafner

-----
I don't have a Lexus, but I have a Mac. Same thing.

--
AGE TEXT Folder: INBOX Message 67 of 68 96% DEL

by gate.hep
"What did
Barrow's lectures contain? Bourbaki writes with some
scorn that in his book in a hundred pages of the text there are about 180
drawings. (Concerning Bourbaki's books it can be said that in a thousand
pages there is not one drawing, and it is not at all clear which is
worse.)"
V. I. Arnol'd in
Huygens & Barrow, Newton & Hooke