Re: A mixture of time dilations and constrictions

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, pvalev wrote:

Processes characterized only by time dilation are
traditionally called "stationary". I would be grateful if
someone could give the definition of such stationary
processes and then describe some particular one.

The phrase "Processes characterized only by time dilation are
traditionally called 'stationary'" is much too vague and
imprecise to convey meaning. In a given inertial frame, a clock
which is present at two contiguous events having the same spatial
coordinates may loosely be thought of as being "stationary." As
before, I suggest you become familiar with the basic concepts of
special relativity as presented in the excellent non-technical
book "Spacetime Physics," Edwin F. Taylor and John Archibald
Wheeler, _W.H. Freeman and Company_, 1992.

--
Stephen
speicher@caltech.edu

Ignorance is just a placeholder for knowledge.

Printed using 100% recycled electrons.