Re: Frustrating Flicker in Fluorescents (WAS: Season misconceptions innewspaper)

"... but some people claim the flicker is harmful even if you don't
notice it."

Yes, one can be driven "mad" by flicker, tho. it must match the Alpha? rhythm.

bc who wonders why a longer persistent phosphor is not (wasn't) used.

Edmiston, Mike wrote:

Roger Haar mentioned T8 fluorescent bulbs. My college is also replac=
ing
old fluorescents with T8 bulbs and fixtures. I believe these new bul=
bs
and fixtures are superior in many ways. Most noticeable to me is the
color temperature. I find the T8 color balance much nicer than the o=
ld
tubes. As Roger mentioned, flicker is not a problem with the new bul=
bs
and fixtures. I personally was never consciously bothered by flicker=
in
the old bulbs, but some people claim the flicker is harmful even if y=
ou
don't notice it.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics