Re: luminous efficiency

Carl Mungan wrote:
I agree that higher wattage means higher
filament temperature, which tends to increase the light output in the
visible by Wien's law.
Then Larry Woolf wrote:
The light output also increases because of the increasing filament
diameter
and length (higher surface area for light emission) for larger wattage
bulbs:

25 W 0.0030 cm dia 56 cm length ratio=1.0
75 W 0.0053 cm dia 55 cm length 3.2
100 W 0.0064 cm dia 58 cm length 4.4
200 W 0.0102 cm dia 72 cm length 9.0
Then Carl E. Mungan responded:
True, but I was thinking specifically of increasing the luminous
efficiency
which is the ratio of visible output in lumens to electrical
power in watts.
Note that most of the change in filament size alters both of these values
proportionately. Specifically, I added a fourth column to your
table above,
namely the ratio of diameter squared to length, normalized to
unity for the
first entry. This ratio tracks pretty closely with the power, as you can
see, the discrepancy indicating some variation in resistivity with
temperature.

However, another factor which does change the luminous efficiency is the
variation in emissivity with temperature.

Your comment immediately above is re: P=V^2/R = (V^2 *A)/(rho*L) so yes,
the electrical power dissipated in the filament will be proportional to
D^2/L.

I was looking at the (light) power emitted by the filament: P~A*(T^4). The
filament temperature does increase somewhat as the bulb wattage increases,
which increases the relative proportion of light emitted in the visible
region, as Carl noted earlier in his comment about Wien's Law. However, the
total visible light output increases to a significant extent because of the
increase in emitting surface area of the filament, which is proportional to
diameter*length. From the calculation below, it appears that about 50% of
the light emission increase results from the increase in emitting area, the
remainder then is due to an increase in filament temperature (or emissivity
change).

25W D*L = 0.168 Ratio = 1
75W D*L = 0.292 Ratio = 1.7
100W D*L = 0.371 Ratio = 2.2