Re: Frustrating Flicker in Fluorescents (WAS: Season misconceptions innewspaper)

Roger Haar mentioned T8 fluorescent bulbs. My college is also replacing
old fluorescents with T8 bulbs and fixtures. I believe these new bulbs
and fixtures are superior in many ways. Most noticeable to me is the
color temperature. I find the T8 color balance much nicer than the old
tubes. As Roger mentioned, flicker is not a problem with the new bulbs
and fixtures. I personally was never consciously bothered by flicker in
the old bulbs, but some people claim the flicker is harmful even if you
don't notice it.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton College