Re: rapid boiling at the very end with liquid nitrogen

On 06/13/2003 02:08 PM, Michael J. Moloney wrote:
My students and I have seen metal samples cooled to liquid nitrogen
temperature, and for all metals we tried (copper, aluminum, iron, and
lead) we saw a rapid boiling at the end, when we think the metal had
reached the same temperature as the liquid.

Leidenfrost effect.

http://www.wiley.com/college/phy/halliday320005/pdf/leidenfrost_essay.pdf