Re: Physics Question

I am assuming that the first arrow will basically flop end-over-end, since
the feathers cannot affect the flight.

It seems to me that the feathers are only there to stabalize an initial
firing force that does not act perfectly down the axis of the arrow. If the
force does act perfectly along the axis of the arrow, then the arrow flying
without the atmosphere would not rotate as it flew, but simply "transform"
it's position (landing back end first).

But which arrow will fly further? Will the "winner" depend on the angle
of
firing? For example, if fired horizontally (and at reasonable speed-no
going
into orbit), will the feathers keep the arrow fired in an atmosphere aloft
sufficiently longer to compensate for air resistance so that it will fly
further?
Or will air resistance make it fly less far?

I don't think that the arrow's stabilized horizontal position will give it
any greater range vs. the arrow in vaccum. The distance is dependant on the
initial force, gravity, and any external forces during flight (air
resistance). It seems to me, that in all situations, the arrow in
atmosphere will always fall shorter than the one in vaccum.

Can these questions be answered with reasonable confidence?

You got me there. I'm confident until my mistakes are pointed out to me,
which will probably take place momentarily.

J. Green