Re: Teaching logic is urgent (the only reasonable transformations)

Ken's analysis is fine except for his statement that Pentcho's
| "equations /3/ and /5/ above likewise only hold true for points on the
worldline of the primed
| observer, i.e., for points where x'=0."

Pentcho's (3) is a statement involving only constants and is true in general.
Statement (5) is true only for events occuring at x=0 (the unprimed observer's
position).

As I earlier observed in a private email to Pentcho, his treatment from eq (1)
to eq (5) is correct. It is his interpretation of (5) which is in error. As Ken
has also written, (5) does not apply to all events; it relates the (t and t' )
time coordinates only of THOSE EVENTS WHICH OCCUR AT X = 0.

Re Ken's side note:
It was in fact the invariance of the speed of e/m waves as a special case of the
relativity principle that motivated Einstein. Maxwell's equations predict a
definite propagation speed for e/m waves in vacuum without reference to any
particular inertial frame (the same is true of the particle velocities occuring
in Maxwellian magnetic interactions). Compare this circumstance with the
derivation of the acoustic wave equation which obviously derives a propagation
speed relative to the acoustic medium. (The only speculative way out is the
invention of an intangible medium - the ether. Michaelson-Morley et al kills
that!)

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net