Re: Test question

Herb,

Normal assumptions: I don't see how the cup can sink, assuming that the
plastic cup indeed has negligible weight. If the wooden blocks float when
put directly in the water, and they fit inside the cup (it does say
"another block is placed *inside* the cup"), then the cup cannot sink.

Now if you cheat and *push* the cup down and make it sink, then the water
level will be the same before and after the sinking operation since the
displaced water will in both cases be just what's needed to support just
the blocks (still assuming cup of negligible weight).

But this goes some way from the question, which asks what happens *when you
add another block*. The water goes up, whether you sink the cup or not.

Mark