Re: capillary effect

On Sunday, Jun 1, 2003, Bernard Cleyet asked:

Was any care taken to ensure none of the uranium
went up your noses?

Yes, hoods were available but not always used. I would
be much more careful in working with Pu, Am or Cf.

Did you use Al foil or something thinner like zapon?

To deposit uranium on a very thin dielectric film I used
mercury below it. The mercury was on a paraffin plate,
for example, in a 5 mm by 15 mm cavity carved to match
the desired target shape. The potential difference was
applied between the wire in the capillary tube and the
wire in mercury. The film, initially ~1mm from mercury,
would be attracted to it after the voltage was applied.
The rate of success in separating thin films from mercury,
after depositing uranium, was something like 50%.
Using mercury in this way was my own "invention."