Re: SR

At 3:08 PM -0600 5/25/03, Jim Green wrote:

Does SR firmly establish that the speed of light is fixed

It is as established as ANY postulate (assumption) is.
It is established by the international scientific community
to the extent that it now has a precisely DEFINED value of EXACTLY
299,792,458 m/ s as of October 1983 IIRC.

and a maximum speed?

only implied as far as I can tell.
'Serious' physicists predict that tachyons will/would emit
Cerenkov type shock waves that have not yet been observed.

Are there experiments which call into question these assumptions re light?

Not any known to the general public
- but Robert B Zannelli <Spinoza321@AOL.COM> seems to think so.
--
I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in
which they can learn.