Re: Non-conservative forces

At 08:30 PM 5/18/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>-- Non-conservative force has to do with a change in energy.
/snip/ Conservative forces can store up energy in
potential form; nonconservative forces do not, but I don't see that
requires a loss/gain of energy. ...
>The force is not a function of position.

I would like to add this as a requirement for a force to be conservative. Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan

To explore the envelope, let me suggest a bimetal strip. If the movable end is
held in place (so that its force is not a function of position)
the force it applies is still a function of temperature, I expect?
Is this ever a conservative force?

Brian whatcott Altus OK