Re: TdS is not dQ or d(anything)

On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 05:12 AM, John S. Denker wrote:

1) I don't know what "dbar" means. I'll take it
to mean the same as "d" until I hear otherwise.

As seen in any standard classical thermodynamics text, d-bar, sometimes
written d' is the symbol for an inexact or imperfect differential.
Refer for example to Sears and Salinger (Thermodynamics, Kinetic
Theory, and Statistical Thermodynamics), Zemansky (Heat and
Thermodynamics), or Callen, (Thermodynamics and an introduction to
Thermostatistics). As I recall, the 1/T in math is called an
integrating factor to turn an inexact (path dependant) differential
into a perfect (path independant) differential.

Dr. Vern Lindberg
585-475-2546
http://www.rit.edu/~vwlsps