Re: Would Physics First Increase the Number of Physics Majors?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the list by way of an online grad course I am taking at U. Virginia.I teach all levels of physics on the high school level to mostly seniors and some juniors at Montville High School in NJ.

Vickie Frohne's comment "Why isn't physics taught EFFECTIVELY in grade school?" is an opening of Pandora's box type of question.

In my district, 3 of 8 teachers in the middle school who teach science have a science -related degree. That's pathetic. It's pobable that the elementary school teachers are no shining stars in science either. This is not a knock on them. I think that teachers are not properly trained in the elementary, middle school, and even high school level. I know a first grade teacher who dos not know how to implement science activities in her curriculum.

I attended the modeling physics workshop at ASU this past summer and I believe any middle or high school science teacher should take such a class or understand the methods.

It makes sense to have physics first, but it must be taught correctly. The subsequent courses in chemistry and biology must also be taught correctly. Then we will have better prepared citizens who may make the wise choice of being a physics major ;) or go on and use their critical thinking skills in another field.

Everyone I meet who asks me what I do cringes in fear when I tell them that I teach physics. They give me some excuse for not taking it in high school. In my district, I estimate that 1/3 of students at my school take physics. Why shouldn't everyone take it?

I think part of the problem goes beyond how physics is taught and when it is taught. I also believe the way students are taught in general affects any physics reform. Students are not taught for understanding. Students don't know the learning process and realize that a struggle is required before you actually learn something. Most of my students give up when they can't solve a problem in less than a minute. I could go on; I hope you get my point.

I don't know where to start. It seems that there are programs in place to address these issues at various levels. Hopefully, we will see the fruits of our labor. I aplogize for rambling on.

-John Luvera