Re: Would Physics First Increase the Number of Physics Majors?

Jim Green wrote:

I don't understand why we would try artificially to increase the number of
physics majors?

Maybe to increase the likelihood of our own job security? It would be
easier just to improve our teaching skills -- assuming that we have any.

Maybe to increase the number of physicists? If there really is a shortage
of physicists, it would be easier to let the marketplace do the job as it
does in most other fields -- just pay them more.

Maybe to increase the number of physics instructors? Ditto. Of course the
various teachers unions would have a fit.

So why not encourage the students to chose the field they like?

I totally agree, both in terms of the number of physics majors and the concept
of free market determining salaries. The remarks I posted earlier today
promoting Physics First were in terms of a better structure for enhancing
learning in all three of the sciences - regardless of whether or not the
students become undergraduate science majors.

The number of responses to advertisements for college level physics teaching
positions is overwhelming. It's nice to fill our departments with students, but
it's somewhat unethical to send great numbers into a saturated market.

Bob at PC

Bob at PC