Re: Help with an applied optics problem

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu> writes:

Does anyone know of a colorless, transparent resin that is a
good match to the index of refraction of a nebbish glass (I don't
have a good number - say 1.55)? I would like to apply it wet
(the less viscous the better) and have it set up hard, but soft
enough to be smoothed with a razor blade.

I know that mineral oil is a fair match, but mineral oil doesn't

I have used windshield repair kits to repair pebble dings in the
windshield of my car. The kit seems to use a 'superglue' type substance
that is allowed to seep into the cracks. Once dry, the crack is all but
invisible. I have not tried a razor blade on the repair, but I see no
reason not to.

Check auto-supply stores for the kit. Otherwise, give the superglue a
shot....

PL

Pete Lohstreter "Happy is he who gets to know
The Hockaday School the reasons for things. "
11600 Welch Rd Virgil (70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
Dallas, TX 75229

214-360-6389

plohstreter@mail.hockaday.org

See what our students are doing......