Re: Why called diffraction?

HI,
I have wondered this myself. I think Ken's
question is 'Why the word "diffraction" rather
than "interference?" ' If a crystal consist of
only two planes, the analogy with thin film
interference would be very close except for the
crystal have a discrete structure. Thin films
exhibit dispersion the same as crystals.

My first guess is it is historical with the
patterns seem experimentally first. These
patterns appear to be some kind of a
generalization of the pattern from diffraction
gratings. Thus the pattern seen by directing x
rays through crystals was called diffraction.

In my mind, the concepts of interference and
diffraction are deeply intertwined. Is it a
single slit interference pattern or a diffraction
pattern? In a diffraction pattern, the bright
spots occur where there is constructive
interference. When light diffracts around a
corner, one figures out what is happening by
calculating the interference. Many interference
patterns depend on light being diffracted around
an edge or object.

I cannot think of a case of diffraction without
interference. But there is interference without
diffraction. Examples include a water ripple
thank with two oscillating objects in the water;
twin radio antennae, and maybe thin film
interference.

Thanks
Roger Haar