moonlight

When one sees moonlight reflected from the surface of a lake, if the water is at all disturbed, the disk is stretched into a line. I've always thought of this as diffuse reflection from the rippled surface, and as I think about it, I can't satisfy myself why the light should be concentrated "beneath" the moon. Why don't the randomly directed surface ripples make it just as likely that light hitting off to the side would reflect into our eyes?
skip