of the head surface that you found to be desirable.
Where do they fit on the MOHS' scale of hardness (1-10)?

Herb

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:22:34 -0500 "Kilmer, Skip" <kilmers@GREENHILL.ORG>
writes:
I have my students bang it on their heads. The hardness (of the
surface and of the blow) is about right.
skip

-----Original Message-----
=46rom: Edmiston, Mike [mailto:edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 11:16
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Tuning Forks

To reduce the excitation of higher harmonics, and to get good
excitat=
ion
of the desired harmonic...

1) Hit it with a hard-rubber mallet (like doctors use for reflexes)
rather than something really hard like plastic or metal.

2) Don't hit it on the end, but hit it about 1/3 of the way toward
th=
open end from the bottom of the U.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics