----- Original Message -----
From: "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>

* Suppose I want to look for terrorists trying to blow up airplanes.
Is it "unscientific" to concentrate attention on a 20 year old Arabic
male travelling one way carrying a backpack? These are secondary
characteristics.

This is a really, really, reeeeeally bad idea.

All you will accomplish by this is
a) Creating a racist society.
b) Causing all evildoers to take off their
kaffiyehs, shave their beards, and buy two-way
tickets.

This will punish the innocent without significantly
burdening the guilty. This is diametrically opposite
to what a good security measure should do.

This is, in a backhanded way, a powerful illustration
of the risks associated with relying on secondary
characteristics.