Re: The fallacy of affirming the consequent

At 17:45 09/04/03 +0200, Pentcho Valev wrote:

Look at Einstein's "Relativity: the special and general theory". Let us
assume that A is the postulate of the constancy of the speed of light:

A: x = ct <-> x' = ct'

The second postulate.

which is a biconditional and can be read: if and only if x=ct then
x'=ct'. Then Einstein introduces a relation of which A is obviously a
corollary (Einstein
explicitly recognizes this):

B: (x' - ct') = L(x - ct)

As far as I recall, I have to write another line to proceed: (x - ct) =
L(x' - ct')

...and isn't this symmetry between the two reference frames justified by
the first postulate, not deduced from A?

The linearity of the transformation is a further issue, but not the main
point, I'd have thought.

Mark

Mark Sylvester
UWCAd