tensors (was: field transformations)

On 04/03/2003 05:41 PM, Joe Heafner wrote:

But I don't understand tensors completely yet because no one has ever
been able to explain them to me. Most of the text books aren't helping
either, just spouting definitions in terms of transformations and
all...very confusing to me. I don't really feel too badly about it
thought since many practicing physicists (including one author of a
widely read relativity text) tell me they don't understand tensors
either. :-)

In general, a tensor is just mathematical machinery.
It is a way of expressing a linear relationship.
It is completely general, which is its strength.
But this comes at a price: because it is so general,
it can represent lots of different physics. I doubt
will ever be an all-purpose physical interpretation
of tensors in general.

A tensor of rank (1,0) i.e. one contravariant index
is a plain vector. You can model this as a stick with
a direction marked on it.

A tensor of rank (0,1) i.e. one covariant index is a
one-form. You can visualize this as the level curves
on a contour map.

There is a correspondence between one-forms and plain
vectors if you have a dot product (e.g. geometry) and
not otherwise (e.g. thermodynamics).

A tensor of rank (1,1) might be a linear operator such
as a rotation. Typically it is neither symmetric nor
antisymmetric. It takes a vector as input and produces
a vector as output.

An antisymmetric tensor of rank (2,0) might be the
representation of a bivector. You can model this as
a piece of surface with a direction of circulation
marked on it.

A symmetric tensor of rank (0,2) might be a bilinear
operator such as the tensor of inertia, or the stress
tensor, or whatever. It takes two vectors and produces
a scalar. You might visualize this as an ellipsoid.

Et cetera.

As far as I can tell, trying to understand the physical
significance of "tensors in general" is futile. It's
like trying to understand the physical significance of
"arithmetic in general".