Re: old capacitors

In trying to use an old electronic flash I found the following
suggestion in the owner's manual: "if the unit hasn't been used for
a long time you can rejuvenate the capacitor by charging and
recharging it several times with the AC power supply (rather than
the battery)". The unit does flash if on the AC power supply, but
not with the batteries, and seems not to hold a charge. I guess the
cap is just too old, but I'm curious about this "rejuvenation". What
does it mean to "rejuvenate"a capacitor?

Gary Hemminger
Dwight-Engelwood School
315 E. Palisade Ave.
Englewood, New Jersey