Re: Ohm's Law

Hi,

Halogen bulbs are a bit odd. The idea of
using a very reactive gas in the bulb initially
made not sense to me. Then I learned that the
halogen gas will bond with the tungsten after it
evaporates from the filament and the tungsten
which has been deposited on the glass. But when a
tungsten halide bumps into the very hot filament
it dissociates, depositing the scavenged tungsten
back on the filament. I guess at below rated
voltage the halogens eat the filament.

Thanks
Roger Haar

David Bowman wrote:

Regarding Mark's comment of 07 MAR 03:

The variation is certainly noticeable when one uses the Pasco "light
sensor" with a datalogging interface. We were using a halogen lamp on 12V
ac as the source in a polarisation experiment some time back. The
measurements drifted up and down in a regular way that turned out to be a
slow beat between the 100 Hz of the mains and the sampling frequency, not
quite 20 Hz. We learnt that we had to use well-smoothed DC. We also learnt,
btw, that halogen lamps die very quickly when run at below their rated voltage.