Re: robust software

UCSC Physics requires the Advanced Lab. reports be submitted in LaTex.

bc

Larry Smith wrote:

At 10:56 AM -0600 3/11/03, Herb Schulz wrote:

I fully agree that an open standard is the way to go. However I couldn't
agree less with using html since it i)isn't very rich in formatting and
ii)the rendering of the formatting depends on which browser you use.

I agree.

For technical documents one might try TeX/LaTeX/Context since the files are
simple text files.

This is an option I really like.

This leads me to .pdf format. It would be nice to have an editor that
produces .pdf directly, as its native format. Here is an open document
standard that is beautiful both on screen and printed. It would be nice to
have lots of software that could edit a pdf file, etc., besides Acrobat.

Mac OS X can automatically save any file from any application to .pdf format.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/quartzextreme.html

Larry