Re: Ohm's Law

this has sat, forgotten, in my drafts file since Fri.

Ahhh I see. this started out as a question on syllabus, moved to the definition
of resistance, and is now on what's ohmic.

bc who hope his short term memory serves

p.s. well it's not a majority of one -- I think R=V/I is the definition resistance
(the definition of ohm is a column of Hg. this also has been posted.)

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Every time this emerges, I must break in with the minority view:

I regard R=V/I as simply the definition of the concept "resistance" (there is
also a "differential resistance" dV/dI) - in the same way as I regard C=Q/V and
L=-E/(dI/dt) as definitions of capacitance and inductance, where the concepts
apply (Kirchhoff situations?). Depending on construction and specific
circumstances the numerical values of R, C and L for various devices may or may
not be constants with respect to whatever variables you want to imagine. This
should cause no consternation or surprise.

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)

cut