Re: Spelling and Grammar in our e-mails

While reading his interesting comments, the verb, "learnt"
that he used happened to catch my eye. In my younger days,
I did a considerable amount of professional proofreading
as a technical writer. I remembered that back in school, we were
always cautioned to say "learned" rather than the incorrect
word "learnt"

Incorrect according to whom?

However, I just checked my Webster's Dictionary and, sure enough,
the word "learnt" was listed there along with some other
accepted choices. I was wondering if anyone else on this
list-serve had similar experiences. ......

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
Where only our New York Times newspaper seemd to be paying
attention to our old-fashioned spelling and grammar)

Whose "old-fashioned spelling and grammar?" A quick check on the
Merriam Webster online (<http://www.m-w.com/home.htm>) says "chiefly
British past and past participle of LEARN"

My Random House also has "learnt" as an alternative spelling, but
with no etymology. It could be that "learnt" is as old or older as
"learned."