Re: CUBE RESISTANCE

At 7:52 AM -0500 3/4/03, John S. Denker wrote:

> bc who simplifies by shorting vertices that have the same potential

They don't assign it in electrical engineering class,
because cubical resistor networks have no engineering
significance.

The EE profs at major Liberal Arts Universities are quite
familiar with such problem and use them to goad the better students.

To repeat: this problem has got nothing to do
with electronics. It has everything to do with
symmetry.

NOTHING to do with electronics?
I am AMAZED that JSD doesn't know
how to build a circuit that uses a common OpAmp ;-)

Or MAYBE JSD was just exercising a bit of hyperbole.

Symmetry, yes. But don't minimize Bernie's "Virtual" connection idea.
OpAmp users make use of the 'virtual ground' abstraction every day.

So here is how I would answer the original problem:
-- Electrodes at the corners are "special" points.
-- Threefold symmetry about the special points.
-- Do the sub-problem: R + two Rs in parallel + R
-- Three copies of the subproblem makes 2.5 thirds.

I would specifically add the virtual connections redraw the
twelve R's. Put the first three R's in parallel, + six R's in
parallel + the final three R's in parallel.