Re: All Voltage differences are Electrostatic?

"If there still a speck of metallic zinc left in the battery, some
charge separation will occur with essentially 9 volts of potential
difference."

not quite drained, i.e. more than a speck. Here's data from a dozen 9 V.
batts. I found in my haz. mat. sack (I'm a good boy; they go to NPS's Haz. Mat.
dump.).

Open circuit V. (using a HV probe ~ 10^9 ohms) "tab" short circuit current
-mA- (~ 0.1 ohm) for a few sec; sufficient time for auto scale seek to find. -
"CRLF"

1.7 7
4.7 20
6.7 7
7.1 200
7.1 300
7.2 100
7.2 250
7.3 760
7.5 10
7.9 500
7.95 1100
8.0 1100

sl. used batts.

9.0 150
9.4 380

"new"
9.55 5400

inconsistencies likely due to different brands and types.

Also I've found that new batts. maintain their "freshness" for some time e.g.
two years. However, used batts. do not, i.e. in ~1 / 2 year become
"drained", tho originally had an OC V ~ 9 V.

Chuck Britton wrote:

Drained 9 volt batteries are considerably easier to get for free than
fresh ones. The HV sparks don't draw much current, just a brief
discharge of the accumulated charge. (As electrostatic as any other
spark)