Re: Microwave Grapes

Hi all,

I am a bit disheartened not to get a response to my question raised in my
post below. It may not be a great physics question, but it is one that has
myself and my students curious. If there is anyone on the list who can
guide we would be grateful.

Regards

Peter Craft
Corowa High School
NSW Australia

The Home of Federation

While on the subject of coffee and microwaves, I was recently shown
another
unusual feature of microwave cooking. A colleague took a large sultana
grape and cut it almost in half, length wise, so that it was just held
together at the vine end by its skin. He placed it in the microwave and
"cooked" it at high power for 30 seconds. After ten seconds of cooking
large sparks (1cm) were emitted from between the two grape halves. This
continued until the grape skin separated from burning. What causes this to
occur?

I have tried the same experiment with different types of grapes with
varying success. Small grapes do not appear to work.

Regards

Peter Craft
Corowa High School
NSW Australia