Re: Power Lines

Tina, Rick, et al-

This is my first time to respond to the list, so I hope my contribution is
of some value.

In my intro physics class, I introduce the conceptual basis of electrical
current in the "Blade Scale" that was developed by my brother Bill while in
high school. It relates magnitude of current to the electrical shock
effect on the human body through a set of desciptive nouns:

bite=1-10ma
zap=10-100ma
scutch=0.1-1amp
sizzle=1-10amp

It seems to be a very useful tool in introducing the students to electric
circuits. Incidentally, voltage (i.e. electric potential difference) is
introduced as a kind of pressure that pushes the current through
conductors. Resistance in the context of electrical shock has to be
carefully treated because biological materials are often nonlinear and
almost all the resistance in the human body is in the skin, so probes
placed between different points on the body have roughly the same
resistance between them, independent of distance. The latter provides a
good question for discussion by the class. Usually students begin by
thinking about salty sweat, but someone eventually gets it after
considering the conductivity of the blood. That leads to the introduction
of the "principle path method" of analyzing circuits, which, in contrast to
Kirchhoff's laws, allows the studenst to conceptualize what is actually
going on in a complicated circuit.

Richard Blade
Professor of Physics and Energy Science
Univ of Colo at Colo Springs