Power Lines

Today in class, we were talking about why birds standing on power lines don't get electrocuted.

One of my students asked if he grabbed on to a power line would he get electrocuted.. yes, because the current would flow through the chest and could stop his heart...

He then asked if he stood on the power line, like a bird, would he get electrictuted.

I was like what kind of an idiot would want to stand on a high pwer line....(okay maybe not so tactful)
But would you get electricuted?
I would think that if the current went foot-to-foot you would be okay, but who really wants to take that chance?

Thanks
Tina
PS I did search google....not finding anything useful yet...

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429