Re: integral nomenclature

While I agree with your aargh!!!, and appreciate John Denker's
comment, I can see where this casual view of the measure arises. Most
calculus texts (and the one I am writing is no exception) introduce the
integral as the antiderivative. And it is introduced at the stage where
the student is dealing only with 1-dimensional problems. We are
concerned, then, with a pair of functions of a single variable: F(x) and
its derivative f(x). At this level there is no ambiguity about writing
the pair as F(x) = \int f(x), especially when the indefinite integral is
intended. But such practice is short-sighted and conducive to the
development of bad habits and generally immoral behavior, IMO.
Part of the cure is to start early with the derivative as a ratio:
f(x)=dF/dx. The inverse operation then consists of two steps. First is
dF = f(x)dx, simple algebra, and each side is an infinitesimal. The
second step is "grow" the infinitesimals with \int dF = F =\int f(x)dx.
This approach is not favored by math educators who don't like to
view the derivative as a ratio (I think because of the limit process
involved). That is one of the ways that my textbook differs from most
calculus texts, since I don't rely on the notion of limit for the
derivative (see the introduction to my text at
www.hep.anl.gov/jlu/index.html).
Regards,
Jack