MODELING WORKSHOPS nationwide in summer 2003: update

MODELING WORKSHOPS NATIONWIDE in summer 2003
(updated Feb. 15, 2003)

Modeling Workshops in summer 2003 are listed alphabetically by state.
They range in duration from 1-week introductory workshops, usually focusing
on kinematics, to 4-week workshops that thoroughly treat the pedagogy and
content for the mechanics portion of a physics course. Content is
reorganized around basic models to increase its structural coherence.
Participants are supplied with a complete set of course materials and
work through activities alternately in the roles of student or teacher, as
they practice techniques of guided inquiry and cooperative learning.
In 2001, Modeling Instruction was recognized as an Exemplary K-12
science program and a Promising K-12 educational technology program by the
U.S. Dept. of Education.
Teachers receive stipends and/or tuition waivers at most workshops.
(State funded workshops provide these only for in-state teachers.)
A Modeling Workshop can be an excellent investment for your school
because you can become a valuable resource for teaching science effectively
with technology! For underprepared teachers, a Modeling Workshop is
excellent content remediation.

ARIZONA
Arizona State University - Tempe (funded by the Nat'l Science Foundation)
Choose June 16 - July 3 or July 7 - Aug 1
Content: mechanics.
Also 2 workshops in electricity or waves/sound/light. (same choice of dates)
Prerequisite: modeling workshop in mechanics.

Also: July 7 - Aug. 7: late afternoon workshop in 9th grade physical science

Contact <Jane.Jackson@asu.edu>, 480-965-8438,
Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> and click on ASU's graduate program ...
******************
FLORIDA (unfunded: teacher or school must pay)
University of Central Florida - Orlando
Two different workshops, preferably taken in sequence:
July 14 - 18: kinematics
July 21 - 25: dynamics
For information: <training@pasco.com> or 1-800-772-8700 (ask for
professional development dept.)
*********************
ILLINOIS (received state funding)
Illinois State University at Normal
June 16 - 27, 2003
Contact Carl Wenning, <wenning@phy.ilstu.edu>, (309) 438-2957.
<http://www.phy.ilstu.edu/workshops/>
*********************
KANSAS (unfunded; teacher and/or school must pay)
Emporia State University, Emporia, KS
June 9 - 13, 9:00 to 4:00
Contact Prof. Jim Johnson <johnsoJA@emporia.edu>
***************
MASSACHUSETTS (received state funding)
Bridgewater State College
August 11 - 21, probably
for 40 teachers of physical science and physics (2 sections)
content: kinematics, intro to dynamics
Contact Jeff Williams <J7WILLIAMS@bridgew.edu>, 508-531-2081
***********************
MISSISSIPPI (received state funding)
Mississippi State University
July 14 - August 1
Content: underpinnings (foundations of physical science) & mechanics
Contact Dr. Taha Mzoughi <mzoughi@ra.msstate.edu>, 662-325-2923
<http://physics.msstate.edu/ttips/>
***********************
NEW YORK
1) SUNY-Buffalo State College in New York
July 7-18, 2003
content: Electricity & Magnetism
Contact Dan MacIsaac, 716-878-3802, <macisadl@buffalostate.edu>
<http://physicsed.buffalostate.edu/programs/>

2) Cornell University, Ithaca (funded by the Nat'l Science Foundation)
July 27-August 1
New York state physics teachers have priority.
Contact Dr. Monica Plisch <mjp11@cornell.edu>, 607 255-2102
Apply online at <http://www.cns.cornell.edu/cipt> . Deadline March 28.
*************************
NORTH CAROLINA (funded by the National Science Foundation)
June 10-27: APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY, Boone
July 8 - 25: CARTERET COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Morehead City
July 8 - 25: UNIV OF NORTH CAROLINA - GREENSBORO
Content: underpinnings (foundations of physical science) & mechanics.

Workshops in second semester physics content:
June 10 - 27: University of North Carolina - Greensboro
June 10 - 27: Carteret Community College, Morehead City
July 7 - 27: Appalachian State University
Prerequisite: 3 week modeling workshop in mechanics.

North Carolina teachers have priority.
Contact Nancy Murray <nmmurray@curie.uncg.edu>, (336) 377-9864
Application is at <http://epc.uncg.edu/workshop/epc_application.html>
*************************
PENNSYLVANIA (unfunded: teacher or school must pay)
Widener University, near Philadelphia
Two different workshops, preferably taken in sequence:
Aug. 4 - 8: kinematics
Aug. 11 - 15: dynamics
For information: <training@pasco.com> or 1-800-772-8700 (ask for
professional development dept.)
**************************
WISCONSIN (received state funding)
University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
For high school and jr high physical science teachers
Contact Dr. Mark Lattery <lattery@uwosh.edu>
**************************
For detailed information on Modeling Instruction, visit
<http://modeling.asu.edu>.

TEACHERS SAY:
Jane Nelson, Orlando, FL (PTRA, Disney nat'l awardee & many other awards)
In thirty years of teaching, nothing has impacted my teaching, since my
first days of learning how to teach science in undergraduate school, like
the ideas I've learned in modeling. It is the best idea to enter the
teaching methods I have ever seen. The ideas are so practical, but have
not been made real before.

Harlan Heitz, rural South Dakota
[The long-term impact of Modeling Instruction on my teaching practice is]
highly significant; since my BS was in general science and my MS was in
chemistry, I needed a deeper understanding myself so I could take my
students deeper.

Andrew Kartsounes, suburb of Detroit
I have completely changed my techniques. Numbers in my classes have risen.
Using modeling theory, I have convinced board members and administrators
that I already know how increased technology will be applied in my teaching
and therefore have moved to the front of the funding line. My department
chair relies on me to be able to articulate how technology can be utilized
in science education.

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
Caring is contagious; help spread it around.