From: Justin Parke
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: Beats: quiz question

In a message dated 2/12/2003 6:42:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kphox wrote:

Today I put this question on a Waves test.

4. In color theory red light (4.8 x 1014 HZ) and green light (5.7 x 1014
Hz) combine to yield yellow. A student proposed that this is an example
of
the beats phenomenon.
a. What would be the beat frequency of these colors? Would this be an
observable frequency?
b. Is the student justified in his hypothesis?

I have thought about this in the past and, following wise advice from John
D., found a helpful website whose URL I did not keep.