Re: Capacitor energy experiment

I guess I am THIS stupid. Did I miss something here, or is this just another of those flame wars that crops up from time to time? If the former, please let me know (in simple words) where my analysis fails.
Skip

-----Original Message-----
From: David Rutherford [mailto:drutherford@SOFTCOM.NET]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 12:43
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Capacitor energy experiment

"Kilmer, Skip" wrote:

Hey, David
I think I'm missing the point as well. Are you implying that the firs=
t charges arriving at the uncharged capacitor have CV^2 of energy? Si=
nce there is no potential difference across the capacitor at that tim=
e, it requires essentially zero work (in the absence of dissipative c=
oncerns) to put them on the plates. As time goes on the capacitor's p=
otential difference rises to some final value V determined by the cha=
racteristics of the device (C) and the amount of charge stored on its=
plates. Since the charge of the "full" capacitor will equal CV, and =
the average potential difference across it will be (V+0)/2, the store=
d energy, equal to the work done in charging, it will be CV*V/2, or 1=
/2CV^2. Where's the missing energy?

I can only assume that you are playing games, now. Nobody can be THIS
stupid in real life.

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/actreact.pdf
"Energy Density Correction"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf
"Proposed Quantum Mechanical Connection"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/quantum.pdf