Re: course notes, HW solns, etc online

Hi,
We at the University of Arizona, Physics do a
lot of scanning of notes, homework, . . . (see
http://www.physics.arizona.edu/physics/courses/courselinks.html
)

We use a middle priced HP scanner The top is
label HP scanjet ADF which is the automatic
document feeder. On the software end we use
Acrobat. The system seems to work well.

Things to consider:

Although they have gotten better, document feeder
can be a problem. As the price of the scanner goes
down the reliability of the feed tends declines.

I think that you will find FAX level copies of
handwritten pages to to be borderline unless the
writing is nearly perfect, and large.

******************
Our department has several all in one units that
are used primarily as FAXes. They are not at
their not the best for large scale copying or
scanning. But I think they are improving. A few
minutes at Office Max/Depot would be a good
investment.

As someone else has suggested a small digital
copier that can be connected to a PC might be a
good thing to check out. Copiers are designed to
handle automatic document feeding rather than have
it tacked on as an after thought.

"Dr. Dan MacIsaac" wrote:

. . . .We are trying to develop or recreate solutions for
quickly scanning documents into .pdf and posting them; something with a
photocopier-like hopper for loading and scanning problem set solutions.
My dept is motivated enough to purchase a station
(computer+peripherals) dedicated to this alone.