From: Edmiston, Mike [mailto:edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 3:08 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Binocular Recommendation?

I echo Richard Bowman's recommendation to try the Orion website at
www.telescope.com. The Orion UltraView binoculars have
really long eye
relief (22 mm) so I don't even take off my glasses most of the time.
The price is pretty reasonable (about $150).

There are other models to choose from.

I also echo Larry Smith's suggestion to check out Celestron
binoculars.
I don't own any myself, but my next-door neighbor does, and they're
pretty nice. See the choice at www.celestron.com

For reviews of binoculars, go to the library and look through Sky and
Telescope or Astronomy. Also check out the ads in those magazines to
find various places to order binoculars. I have ordered
binoculars and
telescopes from places like Orion, and several other vendors that
advertise in Sky and Telescope. Astronomy folks are usually
pretty picky
about their binoculars. I also like how the astronomy
vendors typically
report parameters such as eye relief. Orion has a little "wizard"
routine that will give you suggestions after you answer a few
questions.

Of course the mail-order places don't allow you to hold them in your
hands and look through them like you can in a store, but the astronomy
vendors do have some pretty nice stuff at pretty reasonable prices.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton College
Bluffton, OH 45817