Re: non-dissipative circuitry

I tried this once -- of course the circuit elements were less than ideal
-- fortunately the circuit was fused!! (The 30 A. circuit breaker)

I suspect David intended to open the circuit at max. voltage in order to
leave the cap. charged. If I remember correctly this will be at zero
current.

Another matter: The resonance formula is derived from diff. eq. that
has transient and steady state solutions. Does this have any effect on
this use of the resonant circuit?

bc who may be an example of "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

David Bowman wrote:

Regarding John D.'s comment:

... There really are low-dissipation ways of charging a capacitor.

and Chuck B.'s response:

and the variable capacitance method that you related seems the
simplest and most straightforward of them.

How about the following method/scenario?

Suppose we have an ideal AC voltage source which supplies a sine wave
waveform. The local electric utility could be used in principle.
Next suppose we have a nearly ideal inductance and an nearly ideal
capacitance (possibly made with some superconducting substances).
Choose the value of the 1/(2*pi*sqrt(LC)) resonant frequency of this
L and C to be to the exact frequency of the AC power source. Next
connect the L and the C in series and connect one end of this network
to one for the two terminals of the AC power supply. As soon as the
voltage on the power supply happens to be executing a zero crossing
throw a switch which connects the other end of the series network to
the other terminal of the AC power source thus effectively placing
this series LC circuit across the power supply at the moment of this
zero crossing. Since this (nearly) infinite Q network is being
driven just *at* resonance the amplitude of the voltage and current
excursions in the L and the C elements will be growing linearly with
time. The energy in the circuit will be growing proportional to the
square of the elapsed time.

After precisely an integer number of half-cycles of the input voltage
the switch (that initially connected the network to the power source)
is again thrown open at another zero crossing of the input voltage.
At this moment 100% of all the energy will be in the capacitor and no
current will be flowing either (since at resonance there is no phase
shift between the applied voltage and the current through the
network). If we wait for an exact integer n half-cycles the voltage
on the capacitor will be (n*pi/2)*V_0 where V_0 is the voltage
amplitude of the voltage source. Using this method we can nearly
dissipationlessly charge our capacitor to an *arbitrarily high*
voltage with a finite voltage amplitude power source by just waiting
for more half-cycles before disconnecting the circuit from the power
source.

Of course in real life we might have some problem finding an infinite
Q network and exactly tuning the L*C product so the setup is running
at exact resonance. In real life after a finite number of cycles
the average rate of energy input to the L & C parts of the circuit
will level off and all the subsequent input energy will on average be
dissipated in the series R (however small which would include some
radiation resistance) of the circuit. At this point the circuit will
be dissipating all the input power but will keep sloshing a large
amount of energy between the L & C, but the amplitude of the sloshes
will cease to grow any more. But if we can make the Q of the circuit
extremely high we still can make the method work to dissipate very
little energy by just disconnecting the circuit before the rate of
increase in the amplitude of the oscillations begins to appreciably
level off.

David Bowman