Re: COLD FUSION

At 03:04 PM 12/25/02, you wrote:
When I was somewhat smaller I read a book about early fringe science and
their (then) current status. It examined several theories and their
proponents. Some ridiculed at first are now (then) "mainstream", e.g.
continental drift (the only one I remember).

My favo. (tho. may not have been in that book) is N rays. Belief in those
rays was inversely proportional to the distance from its proponent. Its
popularity was possible due to the recent discovery and examination of
X-rays. N rays died, belatedly, when its "discoverer" died.

A Dr. friend married to a German Dr. told me that manipulation is part of
the Std. medical training there.

I take Bob's point well and suggest that it should be extended to
allopathy. Just because their germ "theory", etc. has had such great
success doesn't meant all their practice is valid.

/snip/

bc

I am seeing some scattered dismissive references to 'germ theory' that
I do not recall from earlier years. Perhaps it's the uncritical American view
of germs as a 'bad thing', that leads to acquiantances who would rather
sniff repeatedly than blow their noses: and for whom a disposable tissue is
mandatory, and a handkerchief in unacceptable (because it's 'unclean'?)

There is suggestive data that the groups whose children play in the dirty
environment seem to show much lower incidence of asthma; that physicians
show much lower incidence of contagious and infectious disease than you
would expect from their contacts with carriers. The putative protective
effect is said to be enhanced immune effectivity from repeated low-level
challenges (what you might call the allopathic protection method.)

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!