From: Matt Harding [mailto:Harding.Matt@ICCSD.K12.IA.US]
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 12:57 PM
Subject: Good Resources for Thought Provoking Physics Questions

I am a third year high school physics teacher, and I
frequently have trouble developing what I consider to be
thought provoking physics questions. I was wondering if
anyone out there could suggest some good widely available
resources that contain a variety of "non-chug-and-plug"
problems and questions relating to physics.

For example, in our current unit on STR, we did a set
involving a variety of problems related to time dilation.
Most of the set consisted of "here are parts a, b, and c, put
them into the stated formula and find part d", at which point
I worry that it just breaks down into a math worksheet. I
did locate a "thought provoking question" in an old text book
(Bueche, Principles of Physics, 5th edition),

"Suppose the speed of light were only 20 m/s, and
all relativistic results applied when this speed was used for
c. Discuss how our lives would be changed."

To me, that's a fantastic divergent question.
Unfortunately, I have a heck of a time coming up with stuff
like that on my own.

They don't even necessarily have to be divergent. I like
questions where a little substitution is involved. In other
words, the students are required to manipulate several
equations in order to get the desired answer. I'm not
expecting a "Higher Order Physics Questions for Dummies", but
I'm not aware of any "good" resources other than my growing
collection of old physics text books.

Thanks,

Matt Harding

Iowa City West High School