Re: unexpected obstacles

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Larry Cartwright wrote:

You're not telling them the details of exactly how
to carry out the research; but you're not withholding "the rules of the
game", failing to be clear about what things you want done "your way"
and what "your way" is. You're not placing artificial obstacles in
their path to success, either intentionally or through cluelessness.

Ironically, you've hit upon a major difficulty I've had teaching
lately. Even though you can see what I'm up to, the students
(just within the last 3-5 years) have taken *exactly* the attitude you
have perfectly expressed. They claim that I am not being clear about what I
want done and what "my way" is. I've seen my evaluations plummet from
very high to slightly less than mediocre, despite teaching some of these upper
level courses for close to 20 years now.

My best guess is that what I call the premed disease has now been
caught by physics majors. The most noticable symptom is the attitude
where the student basically says, "Tell me what I need to do, I'll do it
to perfection, but don't make me think it through on my own."

Mike Monce
Connecticut College