Re: centrifugal force (cont)

I'd like to hear a fictitious dialogue between a professor and
a thoughtful student where the professor is explaining the
difference in viewpoints we are discussing here.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH?

Professor:
Centrifugal something is not a force because forces arise
from *interactions*. A force is defined as a measure of
strength of interaction between two objects.

1) This is not necessarily a wise definition of
force. It reduces the third law to a tautology.
IMHO it would be better to define force on
an object-by-object basis, and then assert
a non-tautological third law that requires
the force on this object to be balanced by
the force on some other object.

There are many cases where it is convenient
to observe a force on a single object without
obsessing on what other object(s) are involved
in the momentum-conservation.> Student:

2) Nitpicking the definition of force is irrelevant
anyway, because the centrifugal field is not a
force field, it is an acceleration field, just
like gravity.

> But according to an old book I any measurable push or pull
> is a force. Centrifugal something, for example, on a bead
> mounted on a horizontally rotating rod, can be measured
> and it should be called a force. What is wrong with this?
>
> Professor:
> Is what you are measuring a push or a pull?
>
> Student:
> Hmm, it is neither push nor pull.

Whaaat? If you attach to "this" side of the bead
it's a pull. If you attach to the other side of the
bead it's a push. You can't make centrifugity unreal
by playing word games with the definition of "push" and
"pull".

Centrifugity is equally as real as gravity.

The N3 law tells us that forces always appear in pairs.
You seem to be saying that Newton was wrong; the
centrifugal force on a rotating platform is acting on an
object but that object does not act on anything else with
an equal and opposite force.

Nobody is saying that. Conservation of momentum
works just fine in rotating frames. Just because
some folks don't know how to do physics in a
rotating frame doesn't mean it can't be done.