Re: combining laser beams

John gave us beans:

If you define brightness as the amount of
energy per unit area per unit solid angle,
then Liouville tells us that brightness is
conserved by any apparatus where you can
keep track of the whole phase space (i.e.
excluding absorbers and emitters, which
do of course uphold Liouville's theorem
but for which a detailed analysis is beyond
the scope of this note).

Perfect! This is exactly the right spirit of discussion on the theory
side of the issue. Now, can you me some pointers on what restrictions
Liouville puts on absorbers and emitters? This is indeed what I was
coming to next. It certainly seems that a laser amplifier increases
brightness of the optical beam at the expense of the entropy dumped
out as waste heat. Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026