centrifugal force (cont)

Bob S. wrote:

"When I teach Newtonian mechanics, I preach the Newtonian Force concept: a
frame invariant interaction between objects. I therefore speak only of
centrifugal *effects* ( and Coriolis *effects*), never of
centrifugal/Coriolis *forces*."

I suppose that physics as measured in a rotating frame of reference is the
sum of the forces plus the sum of the effects equal mass times acceleration.

and Rick T. wrote in part:

"The point here is that I am supporting Bob in that the basic goal of HS and
intro-College courses is (and IMO should be) getting students to understand
the Newtonian view of nature and to hopefully incorporate this into their
own world view."

I'm a centrifugal force is real person. However, I basically agree with Bob
in the context of introductory classes with the exception of the often used
subterfuge of having students learn "centrifugal forces do not exist" as if
its a mantra. And that is the way most students view it; as a mantra. I'm
not totally against mantras, but in this case its wrong.

I'd rather the intro teachers just be upfront about things and say in
rotating frames of reference, the analysis of forces is more difficult and
will be deferred to a more advanced course; and mention to students that if
they heard that centrifugal courses don't exist that that mantra needs
amending.

Joel R.