Re: combining laser beams

Thanks for the replies so far. I can see I need to say more. A
half-silvered mirror won't do because I want to combine the power of
the beams, not throw half of it away.

One reason to try to do this coherently is that you end up with 4
times the power of the original beams (say both have the same power
for simplicity) rather than just 2 times. Also, you would probably
have better beam quality.

Specifically, I was thinking of combining the outputs of the laser
stripes off a semiconductor bar. This would then be used as an
optical pump source for stimulated emission experiments, hence
another need for high beam quality not just raw power.
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026