Re: Surface charge distribution

Chuck Britton wrote:

Is the conducting shell specified as being SPHERICAL ?!?!?!?!?!

This *is* an important point.

If yes - then yes, since the shell is conducting, - the E field is
uniform around it and Gauss's Law tells us that the charge
distribution is symmetric.

It seems to me that there is a missing piece of logic here akin to
the "chicken and egg" problem

Gauss's law does tell us that a spherically symmetric exterior field
implies a spherically symmetric charge distribution on the outer
surface, but how do we *know* that the exterior field is spherically
symmetric?

The easy way to prove it is simply to invoke the existence-uniqueness
property of solutions to Laplace's equation: Since we have found *a*
solution to this problem that satisfies all boundary conditions and
that includes a spherically symmetric exterior field, it is *the*
solution to the problem.