Re: cavendish expt

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

> I assume the amplitude used is only a few degrees, and,
> therefore, suspect the torsion constant will be constant.
> [JD! Why do you think (know) otherwise?]

Constant w.r.t. what?

My scaling argument depends on the following:
-- I know that the torsional spring constant depends
strongly on the diameter of the fiber.
-- I know that when I scale the mass of the rotor,
I will scale the chosen diameter of the fiber
so that it isn't any bigger than necessary to
support the mass.

This has to do with scaling and engineering. It has
nothing to do with nonlinear (non-Hookean) forces.
I expect the force-versus-angle relationship to be
highly linear.