Re: A "heat" question

Bob gets an "A".

May I give an example to see if I follow you correctly? Two containers of
fluids at
different temperatures are put in thermal contact with each other. At the
interface
molecules collide. Because of the finite collision time, there are equal
and opposite
forces on each molecule along with corresponding displacements during the
collision
time - work is done. The work results in one molecule ending up with a
higher KE value
than it had and the other ends up with a lower one. On average, the higher
temperature
molecules will tend to lower values of KE, and the lower temp ones will
tend to higher
values. Eventually, both containers come to the same temperature and the
average work
done tends to zero - positive and negative canceling over arbitrary time
intervals.
Therefore this "Q" is simply work done at the molecular level.

Is this close to what you are saying?

Bob at PC

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com