Re: "non-transfer" of energy

Ludwik, I agree that there is a propensity to make a case to use
previously learned stilted language and hence it is possible to make a good
case for using the word "transferred", but it is counter productive in the
case of an intro or later physics class. Other language should be chosen
-- or an ample indoctrination should be given before its use. Say
something like a bank transfer: I deposit green dollars (or the color of
bills used locally) in my local bank and later in a distant city withdraw
green dollars (or lira). The actual dollar bills don't move from city to city.

But it would be far better to reinforce what would have been recent
teachings of the work/energy theorem and explain that one domino does work
on the next domino etc etc etc At each stage of the process the energy of
each domino increases and then decreases,

But that energy does not flow!

At 04:52 29 11 2002 , the following was received:
What is "transferred" in a long line of falling domino pieces?

Jim Green wrote:

> Energy is not "transferred!" ie it does not "move" or "flow"

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen